Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 “India Size And Location” Study Notes are available here for students and teachers for education purpose.
Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 “India Size and Location”
Class 9 Geography Chapter 1 is “India Size and Location”. This first chapter of Social science Geography class 9 is very useful for exam point of view. This chapter consists of the topics – Location of India, Size of India, Physical location of India in World, Indian Neighbours , Total States and Union Territory in India etc
Geography Chapter 1 “India Size and Location” Class 9 Study Notes
|Chapter||Chapter 1 : India Size and Location|
|Subject||Geography – Social Science|
|Study Material||Study Notes ( Short Notes)|
|Class 9||9 ( Class – IX )|
|Text book||Contemporary India I ( NCERT Text Book for Class 9 )|
Class 9 Geography Notes Chapter 1 “India Size and Location” ( Study Notes )
1. Location of India
• India Lies in the Northern Hemisphere
• Latitude : 8°4’N and 37°6’N
• Longitude : 68°7’E and 97°25’E
• The Tropic of Cancer (23° 30’N) passes through eight India States – Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura, and Mizoram.
2. Islands in India
• Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the South west part of the Indian main land
• Lakshadweep Islands in the Bay of Bengal.
3. Size of India
• Total area = 3.28 Million square kilometre
• India is the seventh largest country in the World.
• India has almost 2.4% of the total geographical area of the World.
• Total land boundary of India : 15200km
• Total length of the coastline of mainland including the islands – Andaman and Nicobar, Lakshadweep : 7516.6 km
• From Gujarat to Arunachal Pradesh, there is a time lag of two hours.
• The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat in the west
• Standard Meridian of India 82°30’E ( passes through Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh)
• Latitudinal and longitudinal extent of the mainland is about 30°. Despite this fact, the east-west extent appears to be smaller than the north-south extent
5. Indian Neighbours
• Pakistan and Afghanistan in the northwest
• China (Tibet), Nepal and Bhutan in the north
• Myanmar and Bangladesh in the east
• Two Island countries in the South : Sri Lanka and Maldives
• Sri Lanka is separated from India by a narrow channel of sea formed by the Palk Strait and the Gulf of Mannar,
• Maldives Islands are situated to the south of the Lakshadweep Islands.
6. More About India
• Capital of India : Delhi
• Total States in India : 29 states ( Telangana is the newest state in India )
• Total Union Territories in India : 8 UTs
• Eight UTs are – Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Lakshadweep, Puducherry
• Note : Ladakh is now a state not UT