Air Around us Class 6 Science Chapter 15 Ncert Solution

Class 6 Science Chapter 15 Air Around us Ncert Solutions are provided here. NCERT Intext and End Exercise questions of Class 6 Science Chapter 15 Air Around us.

Class 6 Science Chapter 15 : Air Around us

Air Around us is the fifteenth chapter of NCERT Text book of Class 6 Science. The end exercise and intext questions are comprised of the topics – Air, Air Around us , Water Vapour, Oxygen, Dust and Smoke, Nitrogen, Windmill, etc

Chapter 15 : Air Around Us ( Ncert Solutions)

SubjectScience
Class 6th – ( Class VI )
Chapter Chapter 15 : Air Around us
Study MaterialNCERT intext and End Exercise Solutions
Total Questions 9 Questions
Text BookNCERT Text Book

NCERT Solutions Class 6 Science Chapter 15: Air Around us

Ques. 1 : What is the composition of air?
Ans. Air contains the some water vapour , dust particles and gases.

The gases in the air are mainly Nitrogen, Oxygen and a small amount of Carbon dioxide and other gases like argon, etc.

Nitrogen and Oxygen together make up 99% of the air , the remaining 1% is constituted by carbon dioxide and few other gases, water vapour and dust particle.

Ques. 2 : Which gas in the atmosphere is essential for respiration?
Ans. The gas present in the atmosphere , essential for respiration, is Oxygen ( O2) .

Ques. 3 : How will you prove that air supports burning?
Ans. We can prove that air supports burning by performing the following experiment.

  • Take a small burning candle.
  • Cover the burning candle with a glass jar
  • After some time, the candle is extinguished.

Result of the experiment : As the supply of air is stopped due to glass jar, the burning of candle is also stopped. Hence it is proved that air supports burning.

Ques. 4 : How will you show that air is dissolved in water?
Ans.
To show the presence of air in water we can perform the following experiment.

  • Take some water in a pan.
  • Boil it.
  • Before boiling of water , look carefully at the inner surface of the pan, tiny air bubbles are visible on the inside of the pan.

Result of experiment : These bubbles come from the air dissolved in water. Hence this experiment shows the presence of air in the water.

Ques. 5 : Why does a lump of cotton wool shrink in water?
Ans. Cotton wool is a bunch of fibre and air inside it. A lump of cotton wool shrink in water because air inside the lump of cotton wool is replaced by the water and keep the fibres closed.

Ques. 6 : The layer of air around the earth is known as _______________.
Ans. atmosphere.
The layer of air around the earth is known as atmoshpere.

Ques. 7 : The component of air used by green plants to make their food, is ________________.
Ans. carbon dioxide gas.
The component of air used by green plants to make their food is carbon dioxide gas.

Ques. 8 : List five activities that are possible due to the presence of air.
Ans. Activities that are possible due to the presence of air –

  • Respiration
  • Photosynthesis
  • Flying of kites
  • Winnowing
  • Burning of substances.
  • Transpiration

Ques. 9 : How do plants and animals help each other in the exchange of gases in the atmosphere?
Ans. Animals use oxygen for respiration and given out carbon dioxide , this carbon dioxide is used by the plants in the process of photosynthesis to make their own food.

Then oxygen is released in this process. This oxygen is used by animals for respiration and thus the cycle goes on.

So in this way plants and animals help each other in the exchange of gases in the atmosphere.