Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Safran Helicopter Engines (French Engine Maker Company) have signed an MoU to develop the helicopter engines that can propel the helicopters to an altitude above 20000 ft. These would beneficial for Indian Army.
On 8th July 2022 Friday , Hindustan Aeronautics Limited ( HAL ) and Safran Helicopter Engines have signed an agreement foe a new joint venture to develop the helicopter engines .
The MoU was signed by “R Madhavan ” ( Chairman of HAL ) and ” Franck Saudo” ( CEO of Safran Helicopter ) in the presence of Safran Group CEO Olivier Andriès .
- This joint venture will develop, produce, sell and support helicopter engines .
- The other objective of the venture is to meet the requirements of HAL and future helicopters of Ministry of Defence . These future helicopter also include the the 13 ton IMRH ( Indian Multi Role Helicopter ).
- These engines will be able to propel the helicopters to an altitude above 20000 ft.
- There are already multiple partnerships between HAL and Safran Helicopter Engines . This include the Shakti engines also.
- This is a 50 – 50 joint venture between the two companies.
- This MRO is slated to be located in Goa.
About Shakti Engines
One of the Shakti Engine is Ardiden 1H1 Shakti. It is a dual Channel FADEC ( Full authority digital engine control ) engine The shakti engine is jointly developed by HAL ( Hindustan Aeronautics Limited ) and Safran Helicopter Engines (French Engine Maker Company) .
This engine powers the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopter like “Dhruv Helicopter”, Rudra helicopter and other light combat helicopter. Ardiden 1H1 Shakti has obtained EASA certification in the year 2009. The Ardiden 1H1 has a power range is 1400 to 2000 shp .
The first test flight of the Dhruv with the new Shakti engine took place on 16 August 2007. According to HAL statement , more than 500 shakti engines have already been produced.
Important Takeaway for Examinations
- HAL headquarter : Bengaluru
- HAL Established : 1940
- Safran Helicopter Engines Head quarter : Bordes, France
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs)
Q. What are shakti engines ?
Ans.. It is a dual Channel FADEC ( Full authority digital engine control ) engine . One of the Shakti Engine is Ardiden 1H1 Shakti
Q. What is the purpose of the MoU signed between HAL and Safran Helicopter Engines
Ans. This agreement have been signed to set up a joint venture to develop helicopter engines
Q. Where is the head quarter of HAL ?