On July 01 , 2022, A 100 megawatt floating solar project became operational Ramagundam in Telangana. This project of NTPC is largest floating Solar Plant in India.
NTPC , on 01 July 2022, declared th commercial operation of the Largest floating Solar Photovoltaic Project at Ramagundam in Telangana.
The 100-MW Floating Solar Photovoltaic project at Ramagundam is endowed with advanced technology as well as environment friendly features
Key Points about NTPC’s Floating Solar Project
- This project has costed Rs 423 crore.
- The project spreads over 500 acres of its reservoir.
- The project is divided into 40 blocks.
- Each block is having a capacity of 2.5MW.
- Each block consists of one floating platform and an array of 11,200 solar modules.
- The floating platform consists of one Inverter, Transformer and a HT breaker.
- The solar modules are placed on floaters manufactured with HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) material.
- The entire floating system is being anchored through special HMPE (High Modulus Polyethylene) rope to the dead weights placed in the balancing reservoir bed.
- The contract of the project was given to M/s BHEL as EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) .
Benefits of the Floating Solar Projects
This project is having a great impact on our environment. With the presence of floating solar panels the evaporation of the water bodies is reduced which in result helps in water conservation.
As this project has become operational, we can avoid 1,65,000 tons of coal consumption every year . Also, 2,10,000 tons emission of CO2 per year can also be avoided.
Now , Total commercial operation of Floating Solar Capacity in Southern region is 217 MW. 92 MW Floating Solar at Kayamkulam and 25 MW Floating Solar at Simhadri & Sh. Anand , and 100 MW Floating Solar Photovoltaic Project at Ramagudam ( 100 + 92 +25 = 217 MW )
HMPE ( High Modulus Polyethylene) : High modulus polyethylene fibres (HMPE) are ten times stronger than steel and lighter than most aramid fibres. They have good moisture resistance, high impact resistance and attractive electrical properties
Important Takeaway for Examinations
- NTPC CEO : Gurdeep Singh
- NTPC Headquarter : New Delhi , India
- Telangana Chief Minster : K. Chandrashekar Rao
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs)
Q. What is the total capacity of Floating Solar Project in Southern India ?
Ans. Total commercial operation of Floating Solar Capacity in Southern region is 217 MW. 92 MW Floating Solar at Kayamkulam and 25 MW Floating Solar at Simhadri & Sh. Anand , and 100 MW Floating Solar Photovoltaic Project at Ramagudam ( 100 + 92 +25 = 217 MW )
Q. How much area is used for the NTPC’s Floating Solar Project in Ramagudam ?
Ans. This project spreads in an area of 500 acres of its reservoir.
Source : Ministry of Power