The UNITED Cultural Agency has placed the Joumou Soup in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List. Joumou Soup , also famous as Haiti’s Freedom Soup is a symbol of Independence of India.
- Haiti’s Freedom Soup : Joumou Soup has been place in the Cultural Heritage List by the United Nations Cultural Agency , UNESCO
- The agency officials said that this soup tells the story of heroes and heroines of Haitian Independence , and their struggle for human rights .
- The director of UNESCO , Audrey Azoulay said that the Joumou Soup is “so much more than a dish”.
- Haitians celebrate their independence by consuming this soup
- The Intangible Cultural Heritage Committee has awarded Joumou soup- Haiti’s Freedom Soup, a protected status.
- Helina Test Missile Successfully Test fired by India
- Daily Current Affairs March 2022
- Important Weekly Current Affairs for competitive exams 2022
- Important Monthly Current Affairs in English and Hindi 2022
- Veer Baal Diwas 2022 – History, Significance& Key Point
- HEAT Abhyas – successfully tested by DRDO
Joumou Soup : Haiti’s Freedom Soup
Joumou Soup is a mildy spicy soup native to Haitian cuisine . The soup is traditionally cooked in pumpkin winter squash .
The main ingredients of the Joumou Soup are : Squash, beef, potatoes, and green vegetables like cabbage, celery ,etc
The soup is always served hot and is usually accompanied with a sliced bread which dipped in the soup.
Joumou Soup is traditionally served on January 1st to commemorate the day of Haiti’s liberation from France in 1804.
Soup Joumou is pronounced as “joo-moo”.
Intangible Cultural Heritage
An intangible cultural heritage is a practice, representation, expression, knowledge, or skill considered by UNESCO to be part of a place’s cultural heritage. Buildings, historic places, monuments, and artifacts are cultural property.
Intangible cultural heritage has the capacity to unite communities around their unique know-how and traditions, and thus to strengthen social cohesion
“This is especially true when communities are hit by disasters or emergencies: intangible cultural heritage has a major role in community resilience and recovery.
Intangible Heritage List – India
Following elements of India are in the Intangible Heritage List
- Kutiyattam, Sanskrit theatre
- Tradition of Vedic chanting
- Ramlila, the traditional performance of the Ramayana
- Ramman, religious festival and ritual theatre of the Garhwal Himalayas, India
- Chhau dance
- Kalbelia folk songs and dances of Rajasthan
- Mudiyettu, ritual theatre and dance drama of Kerala
- Durga Puja in Kolkata
- Buddhist chanting of Ladakh: recitation of sacred Buddhist texts in the trans-Himalayan Ladakh region, Jammu and Kashmir, India
- Sankirtana, ritual singing, drumming and dancing of Manipur
- Traditional brass and copper craft of utensil making among the Thatheras of Jandiala Guru, Punjab, India
- Kumbh Mela
- Full form : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Head quarter : Paris, France
- Director General : Audrey Azoulay
- Founded : 16 November 1945
- Parent Organization : United Nations