On 24 December 2021, INS Khukri (P49) has been decommissioned. It has served the country for 32 years. See more details here about INS Khukri on the current affairs section.
- INS KHUKRI is the the first of the indigenously built missile corvettes,
- INS KHUKRI has been Decommissioned after 32 years of its service . It has been decommissioned at a solemn ceremony which held at Vishakhapatnam.
- The ship was built by Mazagon Dock shipbuilders on 23 August 1989. The builder of the ship was J. Samuel White
- During its service of 32 years , the ship has was commanded by 28 Commanding Officers .
- The ship has traversed a distance of 644897 Nautical miles (1194349.24 km). It the distance 3times between earth and moon
- Captain Mahendra Nath Mulla was the commanding officer of the ship during the 1971 war.
- Safran & HAL signed agreement to build Helicopter Engines
- NTPC’s Floating Solar Project of 100 MW in Telangana
- Virat Swaroop – CM Khattar unveil 40ft Lord Krishna Statue
- MoU on Space Cooperation signed by India & Mexico during FOC
- Posidonia Australis – Biggest Plant in World | Length 180 km
- Current Affairs Today : Current Affairs and Gk 2022
About INS Khukri
INS Khukri was a Type 14 (Blackwood-class) frigate of the Indian Navy.
She was sunk off the coast of Diu, Gujarat, India by the Pakistan Navy Daphné-class submarine Hangor on 9 December 1971 during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
This was the first warship sunk in action by a submarine since World War II. It remains the post-Independence Indian navy’s only warship to be lost in war to date.
The ship was commissioned on 20 November 1956 in Mumbai by then defence minister Krishna Chandra Pant and Sudha Mulla, wife of late Captain Mahendra Nath Mulla, MVC with Commander (now Vice Admiral retired) Sanjeev Bhasin as her first Commanding Officer.
The ship was built by Mazagon Dock shipbuilders on 23 August 1989. The builder of the ship was J. Samuel White The ship has travelled a total distance of 644897 Nautical miles which is equal to 1194349.24 km. Its quite interesting to note that this distance is 3 times the distance between earth and moon.
About the Solemn Ceremony
In this Solemn Ceremony, the chief guest was Vice Admiral Biswajit Dasgupta with some serving and former commanding officers of the ship .The solemn ceremony was held at Visakhapatnam on 24 December 2021 to decommission the INS KHUKRI.
About Indian NAVY
- Indian Navy Chief : Admiral R. Hari Kumar
- Headquarters : New Delhi
- Established : 26 January 1950
Frequently asked questions
Q1. How many INS ships are there in India?
There are a total 150 ships and some submarines till date.
Q2. When was Khukri commissioned?
INS Khukri was commissioned on 20 November 1956
Chhatrapati Shivaji is Known as the father of the Indian Navy.