In a bilateral Foreign Office Consultations ( FOC ) India and Mexico have signed a memorandum of Understanding for Cooperation in Space. This Foreign Office Consultations ( FOC) was held in Mexico City on 29 June 2022.
On 29 June 2022, an agreement has been signed between India’s Space Agency ‘ISRO’ and Mexican Space Agency ‘AEM’ for Cooperation in Space. This agreement focuses on Crop Monitoring, drought assessment and capacity building.
According to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA): “A Specific Cooperation Agreement on cooperation in outer space focusing on crop monitoring, drought assessment and capacity building between ISRO and Mexican Space Agency (AEM) was also signed during the visit.”
- The MoU was signed in the sixth round of Foreign Office Consultations (FOC) between India and Mexico held on 29 June 2022 in Mexico City.
- This agreement focus on the areas of crop Monitoring, Drought Assessment and Capacity building ISRO and AEM.
- ISRO and AEM has already signed a MoU on space cooperation for peaceful purposes in October 2014
- This MoU was signed on behalf of ISRO by secretary Saurabh Kumar of the Union external affairs ministry and director general of Mexico’s AEM space agency Salvador Landeros.
- The next round of consultations will be held in New Delhi.
About Foreign Office Consultations in Mexico City
The sixth round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Mexico was led by by Saurabh Kumar, Secretary (East), Ministry of External Affairs ( from Indian Side ) and the Mexican side by H.E. Ms. Carmen Moreno Toscano, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico.
The consultations reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral relations including Political, Trade & Investment, Health and Pharmaceuticals, Science and Technology including Space, Culture and Tourism, Education, Consular, and other areas of mutual interest.
The two sides agreed to continue high level political exchanges and regular meetings of the joint institutional mechanisms such as Consular Dialogue, the Bilateral High-Level Group on Trade, Investment and Economic Cooperation (BHLG) and Joint Commission Meeting to keep up the momentum in bilateral relations.
About Agencia Espacial Mexicana ( AEM )
Agencia Espacial Mexicana ( AEM ) is the National space agency of Mexico. AEM was established in July 2010. This agency aims to promote and coordinate education, research and development of the space related activities performed in the country ( Mexico).
Important Takeaways for Exam
- ISRO head quarters : Bengaluru
- ISRO Established : 1969
- AEM ( Agencia Espacial Mexicana ) head quarter : Mexico City
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs)
Q. When was last MoU was signed by India and Mexico on Space Cooperation ?
Ans. : ISRO and AEM last signed an MoU on space cooperation for peaceful purposes in October 2014
Q. What is the name of Mexico Space Agency ?
Ans. Agencia Espacial Mexicana (AEM )
Q. Where this MoU of Space cooperation between India and Mexico was signed ?
Ans. This MoU was signed in Mexico City in a bilateral foreign Office Consultations.
Source : Ministry of External Affairs