DRDO has successfully tested the High-speed Expendable Aerial Target Abhyas at Chandipur off the coast, Odisha on December 23, 2021.
- HEAT ABHYAS has been successfully tested by DRDO at the Chandipur off the Coast , Odisha
- During the flight trial, high subsonic speed trajectory (of Abhyas) at a very low altitude with high endurance was demonstrated.
- It had two boosters which provided initial acceleration at the launch. It also had a small turbojet Engine. This engine was used to sustain high subsonic speed.
- The system has been developed to meet the requirement of aerial targets of Indian Armed Forces.
- It was the second flight test. The first flight test took place on 23 June 2012.
- Safran & HAL signed agreement to build Helicopter Engines
- NTPC’s Floating Solar Project of 100 MW in Telangana
- Virat Swaroop – CM Khattar unveil 40ft Lord Krishna Statue
- MoU on Space Cooperation signed by India & Mexico during FOC
- Posidonia Australis – Biggest Plant in World | Length 180 km
- Current Affairs Today : Current Affairs and Gk 2022
DRDO Abhyas is a high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT) being built by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Armed Forces.
- The Aircraft can be used as aerial target for missile systems.
- This project was sanctioned with initial funding of Rs 15 crores.
- The aircraft is launched from a mobile launcher with the help of two 68 mm booster rockets.
- It is lightweight and reliable, consumes less power and is cost-effective.
It is also GPS-enabled and has an onboard flight control computer and a miss-distance indicator.
The aircraft is designed for autonomous flight with the help of an autopilot.
The aircraft is controlled from a ground-based controller and an indigenously developed MEMS- based Inertial Navigation System along with Flight Control Computer . It helps it to follow predesignated path in automatic mode.
The success full test of the aircraft will boost the powers of Indian Military Forces. It is a great testimony of the synergy between scientists and the Indian industry.
- DRDO : Defence Research and Development Organization
- Established : 1958
- Chairman : Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
- Headquarters : DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What is Abhyas HEAT ?
It is a high speed expendable aerial target Abhyas. This is being built by the Aeronautical Development Establishment of DRDO for Indian Armed Forces.
Q2. When did first flight took place of ABHYAS ?
23 June 2012